The Second Blog

Thoughts that linger in the mind of a Singaporean teen.
By Kelvin Choo
kvc_king@hotmail.com

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ok first blogpost of 2010! (10 days after new years day)

anyway, so far so good i guess, but dont worry, i'm not gonna go on and on about my 2010 resolutions and whatnots. I'm gonna blog about sth that struck me in the middle of an ordinary conversation.

"Look at that bird! So cute!" was what i heard earlier today. and the first thing that struck my mind, was "oh, that sounded a little wrong" and that i started thinking about how the society of today so easily turns ordinary words into words that have alternative meanings. It's almost like stuffing hidden meanings inside words that meant nothing more than itself decades back (I sound so senior). So i've decided to share a few of these words by listing them down as follows:

  • Cock (Animal)
  • Mat/Minah (Boy/Girl)
  • Thambi (Brother)
  • Bhai (Brother)
  • Chick (Animal)
  • Lame (Inability to walk)
  • Balls/Nuts (From Latin testiculus)
Dont accuse me of being a racist or a sicko, but c'mon, i bet all of you know what i mean. I just feel such words give the people of today wrong ideas of anything and everything. Nonsense? Tell me if this sounds wrong:

"The Pleasure of Sucking"

This is the latest slogan for Chupa Chups' lollipops. Firstly, pleasure already gives an impression, and sucking needs no explanation.


Free Blog Counter